It was designed and built by Ernest Martin Skinner, the most famous American organ maker of the first half of the 20th century. Skinner remains one of the most preferred models of organs in the United States. The company exported only two instruments to Europe and the Opus 718 was built on the order of Charles Bedaux in 1928. The organ of Candé was one of the 77 residential organs built between 1916 and 1936. These instruments were designed for very wealthy clients who used them to play mood music. Given that good organists were not always easy to find, organs were equipped to play music from perforated paper rolls. The largest collection in the world is held at the Indre-et-Loire Departmental Council. It includes an improvisation by Marcel Dupré, a famous French organist and composer, who played the instrument at the wedding of the Duke of Windsor.
Considering the exceptional quality of the organ, the instrumental part was classified as a Historical Monument in 1993 and restored by the Indre-et-Loire Departmental Council between 2004 and 2012.
The organ is an inherent part of the castle of Candé and has the unusual characteristic of being located on three different floors: the console, with three keyboards and a pedal, is on the ground floor in the library. The instrumental part is spread over the first floor and the electric blower is in the attic. The sound produced on the first floor reaches the library through a wrought iron gate which hides a large opening connecting the two levels, with an acoustic dispersion throughout the entire library.
Currently in maintenance – We apologize for the inconvenience.